Miss Sweetie and Miss Fannie

As kids come and go out of our home we have given them all nicknames in order to protect their privacy. Through out this blog  and blogs to come I will refer to them with their nicknames to continue to protect them. 

Our story continues….

Jump forward a few months after our first little man removed so he could be with his siblings and we are now the foster parents to two beautiful little girls, one turning 1 and one just a few months old. I will share a small portion of their story with you. I received a call about the girls, of course I said yes,  and was told I would get the baby first while the older one was in the hospital. The worker brings us a very tiny and sickly baby girl who was small enough to fit in the palm of my hands. For the next few days we bonded with her,loved her and watched life slowly came back into her eyes. It came time to go pick up the oldest sister and I was taking into a room to watch a video about how to care for her head injury. The nursed warned me that she had not moved much or made any type of eye contact with anyone since her surgery. I slowly walk to her hospital door  scared of what I was going to see and questioning myself on if we could really handle this situation. Then I opened her door and as if she knew exactly who I was she jumped up and smiled.  She began reaching for me and babbling.  The nurses looked puzzled and asked if I knew her. I replied no, I did not know her or her family I just said yes when Dhhr called.  I picked her up and as if she knew she was safe she hugged me and fell asleep on my shoulder as I signed discharge papers.

The next few weeks were filled with doctor appointments, birth to three appointments, and even a sign language specialist, we were told both girls were deaf. Life was moving fast but we loved it.  They quickly became part of our family. If we did something they were with us. Church, vacations, trips to grandma and grandpa’s it did not matter we were now a family of 6 and we could not be happier.  The legal side of the system was moving along as well. Visits with the birth parents stopped we were told they would be moving towards termination of parental rights.   After that they would be placed up for adoption. Since they had been with us longer than the 6 month bonding law things looked great(at this point they had been with us 8 months).  Soon they would be forever ours. We could relax.

My husband and I decided to take a weekend get away just the two of us. We made the necessary arrangements and off on the motorcycle we went. We were enjoying our long weekend when my cell phone rang.  It was the on-call worker. She had a little boy almost 2 months old that needed placement just for the weekend until the grandmother could get things in order.  I told her to let me ask Todd and I would call her right back. I turned around and there I find my wonderful husband packing our bags, he over heard the conversation and was already getting ready to head home. I called her back and told her we would be home in about 5 hours. 

We get home, get the girls and our older kids and then wild man arrived all 4 pound 5oz of him. Then on Monday the phone rings……

The GAL  (the girls lawyer), the caseworker and adoption worker scheduled a meeting at our house. We thought it was to finalize that we indeed want them to be forever ours. That was not the case.  An aunt and uncle out of state had been located and as long as their home study checked out the girls would be placed with them.  We were crushed.  We did all we could, we went to court had a hearing, met with the a panel of people on the case pleaded through pictures, testimony, and tears for them to allow the girls to stay with us.  They were our girls now how could this happen? 
While we waited for the decision to be made visits with the aunt and uncle were set up.  We met them and I wanted to hate them, after all they were trying to steal our girls, but I didn’t hate them. Their family was so similar to ours. They were every involved at their  church, they also had older kids, football on Friday nights and when I handed over “Miss Fannie” to the aunt she cried just as I had done.  They were still in shock. They did not know anything about the girls in fact that did not even know they existed until the worker called them. They too had dropped everything they were doing and headed to met the girls.  I really wanted to be angry, but they were sweet genuine people who where just as confused and scared as we were. All of our lives were about to change forever.

Our court date arrived and we headed to the courthouse praying for God’s will to be done but hoping it was for the girls to stay with us.  We get off the elevator to see the lawyer talking with the aunt and uncle, the hearing had been moved up and we had not been notified.  The lawyer looks at me and says, the girls will be going home with Mr and Mrs X today. Please go home and pack their stuff and be at the office in an hour.  Tears rolled down our faces as we turned to get on the elevator.  9 months and it was over like that.

We hurried home, quickly packed their things while our older kids told them goodbye. We loaded then up called grandma’s and grandpa’s to tell them the girls were leaving us and that no we didn’t have time to let them sat goodbye. We pulled in the office and their the lawyer and the aunt and uncle were waiting. I held back tears as we loaded their things into the van, kissed them both ever so softly on the top of their heads and told them I would forever love them as I prayed.  That’s when their daughter came up to me and handed me a letter she had wrote. In it she thanked me for loving the girls and keeping them safe. She was maybe 7 or 8. I hugged her and told her she was going to be a great big sister and thanked her for being so kind.  We drove off while they continued getting things in the van. I have never cried so hard.  

How were we to continue? Why did this happen again? Why was God doing this to us.  We walk through the door and I find our wild man sleeping peacefully thanks to my in laws, they watched him while we took the girls down the road.  I vowed then that after he returned to his grandmother(a month in and still working on getting things worked out) We were done. My heart could not take it anymore.
The years have passed and I am pleased to say I still get to see “our Miss Sweetie and Miss Fannie” thanks to social media. They are beautiful and talented and have grown much.  They have  a wonderful family that loves them and I see they are where they belong. Yes I miss them daily but I know now God had a plan for them. I am thankful their forever mom aka their aunt and I have become friends and she let’s me see them through the power of technology. I still have the letter their daughter wrote us tucked away with some photos and things from our time with them.  And who knows maybe one day I will get to see them again face to face, but for now I am blessed that we had them for the time that God needed us to watch over them. I am blessed we got to feed them and help them become healthy, we got to love them when they needed love the most. We got to be part of their beautiful story because God saw fit for us to be there at the moment in time.   

From our beautiful chaos to yours enjoy your day!

Author: beautifulchaosmomma

I am a stay at home mom to 7 wonderfully crazy children. I have two biological children and my husband and I have adopted five little ones through foster care. Our children are 23, 20, 8, 7, 5, 5, and 3. I recently self published a book called Beautiful Chaos Our Story about Foster Care, Adoption, Faith, and Love. Pick up your copy today on Amazon or on my website at beautifulchaosmomma.com ❤️

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s